<$BlogRSDUrl$>





My own thoughts--for me.
(. . . OK, you can look.)







Thursday, January 01, 2004

Inaugural 

I live in Seekonk, MA with my family, and teach philosophy at Brown University. There a number of philosophy blogs, and I don't intend this to be another one. But philosophy is one of my interests, and I plan to post ideas on several of my interests. Time will tell, but I expect to post about bicycling, guitar, music, art, movies, philosophy, politics, and other things. I wish these could be grouped into categories, and maybe they can, but I don't know how yet. So I'll begin with the classic chronological blog.

I saw two art exhibits in the last few days (more than my regular rate, by far). The most stunning one was the John Currin show at the Whitney in NY. A Google image search would turn up more images than those two links contain. The work is an unsettling blending of virtuosic painting and composition skills in a traditional style, with ironic, cynical, bemused, commentary on mass culture. Political art is often boring and static, but I didn't find it that way at all. It doesn't send any simple message, but whatever the message is it seems to me to be true.

The other exhibit was the Romare Bearden show at the National Gallery in Washington D.C. His collage images are familiar from many jazz posters, but the work is a lot broader. The link to jazz is played up in the audio tour, and I think it cramps the appreciation of his work somewhat. Seeing the pieces in person I was especially impressed by the color and composition, leaving the content aside.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com